Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Swim Suit Fiasco


I went to Big 5 today to try on some sporty swimsuits thinking "hey, I used to wear those in high school and they are good because they have a lot of support." Which, let's be honest, after having a kid and still nursing the kid, a girl's got to have support. Let's just say, it was a frightening, eye-opening and somewhat shocking experience for me. I tried on at least five different suits of different sizes and styles, but walked away with none, and feeling quite defeated.

Luckily, there is a happy ending to this story, because as if by destiny there was a darling little pastry shop right next door. "Dainty Cakes Bakery." How could I not venture inside? I don't know what it was about the adorable little woman behind the counter that made me feel like I could share my traumatic swimsuit experience, but that's exactly what I did. We sat and talked for a good ten or fifteen minutes. She told me about how she comes to work everyday and makes different baked good recipes (she doesn't have a set menu). She told me a story about how she came up with a lemon cookie recipe on accident one day because she didn't have enough eggs for the cake she was doing, and how she added some other ingredients. We swapped "being short" stories, she is 4'11 1/2", and she made me forget about my bad fitting room event by telling me how good she thought I looked for just having a baby. Maybe it was just flattery to get me to buy some of her goodies, whatever it was though, it worked.

So even though I was unsuccessful at finding a swimsuit, I walked away with something much better, and much tastier. A beautiful peanut butter chocolate chip blondie.



1 comment: